Cambrian Printers have a long history beginning in 1860, as the printer and publisher of the Cambrian News, a progressive Welsh weekly newspaper.
In 1927, the business was taken over by the Read family, and Cambrian has prospered since, through four generations of Read family ownership.
Over time, the printing element of the business grew, and by the 1950’s, had overtaken the newspaper element as the core activity within the business.
In 1994 Cambrian Printers moved to new premises, where we remain today. In 1998, the newspaper arm of the business was sold, which allowed heavy investment in the printing arm for which we are now known.
We have always met new challenges by investing in the right technologies at the right time;
- In the 1970’s we were one of the first printer to adopt photo-typesetting to film.
- We were among the first companies to embrace Desk Top Publishing in the 1980’s.
- By 1999 we were 90% PDF, and leading the industry in installing one of the first computer-to-plate devices in the country.
- Cambrian was amongst the first to invest in digital print technology as it became a viable printing technology – our first HP Indigo Press was installed in 2005.
- In 2009 our investment in the state-of-the-art KBA 106 Rapida press typified our ethos of staying one step ahead.